Tuesday 1 April 2014

It's April folks!

I turned the page on the calendar this morning, and there it is. My date with destiny. OK, maybe that's a bit melodramatic, but at least my date with 26.2+ miles of London tarmac and a big shiny medal. Because I am going to get that medal. I am not going to have put in all this effort; all those lonely hours plodding around pavements, lanes and boggy towpaths, even those bloody awful treadmill and exercise bike sessions; all that pain in feet, ankles, hips and calves and everywhere else; all that time abandoning my hubby to his solitary Sunday mornings; all those tears of frustration and fear; all that expense of new shoes, running gear, so many different types of energy gel and evil sports massages just to fail now. God that makes it sound awful doesn't it? Why on earth would anybody do this? Because of the sense of achievement and pride at a challenge met head on and overcome, that's why. Because I never thought I could do it. Because of all those who have stood beside me every step of the way, cheering me on and encouraging me to face my fears and keep going, and who have dug deep and donated to my cause. And because of those who are no longer with me but who would be so very proud of me.

I look back to my first tentative steps on my training plan, back in those days when I was so terrified by the enormity of the challenge that I hadn't even dared to tell hubby that I was doing it. When I ran twenty paces and was out of puff. When I did half an hour and got back home so red and sweaty and doubled over gasping for breath that he was seriously worried for my health. But I stuck with it, and he stuck with me and we trusted the Plan, and now here I am, fitter than I have ever been in my life, capable of running for 3 1/2 hours (still pink and sweaty but not gasping for breath and bouncing back in double quick time). I trust and believe that I have done enough to keep me going for the additional two hours that I reckon I'll need, with the noise of the crowd and the excitement of the day to spur me on when I get into uncharted territory beyond the 18 miles. (Note to self: just don't start too fast!!) But enough of the emotional claptrap, what of the running? Well, you'll be pleased to know that you are almost up to date.


So far I am enjoying the tapering. It feels weird just to do three runs a week, and then only short ones. Last week I did half an hour on Tuesday and 50 minutes on Thursday. The Plan said "steady" but I did 4 3/4 miles at an average of 10:57 a mile, and that felt steady to me. Friday we went to Exeter to fetch son number 2 home from Uni for Easter. It's really lovely to have him back but within two hours he'd eaten half the contents of the fridge! Have to get back into the habit of regular food shopping. On Saturday I had to work - running a birthday party for 12 very excited six year olds, bug hunting, pond dipping and den building. Yes, this is work... (actually quite hard work; I was shattered when I got home!). 


Sunday was 120 minutes steady. Not so long ago I was in pieces the morning of my first 120 minute run. Full of self-doubt and really scared, I stood and cried at the very idea. Now it was "only" two hours, and I really enjoyed it. It was a lovely morning, not too warm to start with but brightening up. It was Mothers' Day, and the clocks had gone forward to BST so I was a bit late getting started but once out I headed down to the town centre and picked up the towpath out towards Godalming again. Last time I ran this route I had 2 1/2 hours to fill, so this time I didn't go quite so far, turning round just after 5 miles. I came across these two on the way:



As I turned back I had a Lucozade gel. I didn't really need it as I'd had a good porridge breakfast and had only been running an hour, but I wanted to try it out. I think it's the caffeine in them that gives them that really rich zingy taste which is quite unpleasant to start with, but this time I had plenty of water and I took a swig with every mouthful of the gel and washed it down with no problems. So I know that on the day that's two less gels I have to carry as they'll give me one at 14 and 21 miles. My run 3 miles, walk a couple of minutes strategy was also working well again, and I think on the day these short pauses will be the time when I dig about in my bum bag and get out something to eat - just a little smackerel of something every three miles should hopefully do the trick.

I stopped and took another picture as I approached Guildford. (I will probably be doing this on the day too so I need to practice faffing about getting my phone out and taking snaps occasionally!)



Lovely isn't it? I was getting home quicker than expected so I diverted off a bit towards the end. By this stage it was really quite warm and I was running out of water. Once William told me I'd done 10 miles I reckoned that would be enough; I could feel my head beginning to throb a bit and I have nothing to prove to anyone, at this stage I don't need to push myself to the point of dehydration - been there, done that - so I carried on to the church crossroads then stopped and walked the rest of the way home, even though I'd not quite finished the two hours. The first time I ran 10 miles (way back on February 2nd) it took me 2:02:40. This time I shaved more than 5 minutes off that.

So here we are, April is here and I have just a few easy runs left - 70 minutes this weekend, race practice. This means get up at the time I will on the day, have the same breakfast, wear the kit I intend to wear on the day (don't know about the weather though, long tights or short, T-shirt under PanCan vest or not...?), pretend to go to Woking and get on a train, go to the loo loads, and set off at 10:00. As for what next, who knows? At the moment I feel like "never ever again..." but that would be a shame, as I feel physically so much better than I ever have (apart from sore ankles every morning) and I have lovely toned legs! I am thinking maybe 26 miles is too much, and too time consuming, but there are lots of Half Marathons and 10ks out there that would give me a target - I know if I don't have one I won't go running - and not be too difficult to fit in. So we will see. For now, my date with my shiny medal is finally on the page in front of me. I can't wait but am as nervous as I am excited. As Jessica Ennis-Hill said before the 2012 Olympics, the trick is to get all your butterflies flying in the same direction. I can feel the butterflies aligning.

No comments:

Post a Comment