Sunday 22 December 2013

I will never ever learn to love spinning

It's been a bit of a week really, as you'd probably expect for the week before Christmas. Having both boys at home has been a bit of a shock, most notably to the food budget and the laundry pile, but lovely. Unfortunately I've done no running at all which I've found very frustrating but there are good reasons. I had resolved to cut back this week to help my foot, but thought I could cope with that as it was a "taper" week in my plan so I wouldn't miss too much and could get back this weekend. As it happens...

I missed Body Balance on Monday to go to Bath, and then on Tuesday I didn't run but instead took a gentle stroll into town to go to my blood doning appointment, which turned into a right drama. It was my 36th pint so you'd think by now I'd know the drill (although to be fair they do change it quite regularly). The procedure itself went smoothly, pint duly bagged up, plaster put on arm, get up to go and get my tea and biscuits. Now I blame the fact that all the running I've been doing has put extra oxygen in my blood making it all thin and super pulsing round (that's a scientific fact right?) so as I sat down at the table the needle hole in my arm opened and I bled all over the floor. I was promptly whisked off behind a screen and cleaned up, but then came over a bit woozy so had to lie down and get fussed over by the lovely donor carers, bringing me biscuits and squash. After 45 minutes they said I was ok to go but I had to call hubby to leave work and get me home. What a banana!

After that excitement I really didn't want to exercise so had Wednesday and Thursday off as well. And as my foot didn't seem any better I decided it was time to be more proactive about getting it fixed rather than just  hoping. I took myself off to my friendly physiotherapist, who diagnosed the root of my problems as a very tight muscle in my left calf which causes a lack of flexion in my foot so my running action is quite heavy, leading to the pain in the plantar fascia (are you following?). She proceeded to prove how tight my calf muscle is by prodding me very hard with her thumbs - double ouch! So it turns out I need to have some physio to try and loosen off the muscle and do some other exercises to get it sorted, and in the meantime I need to lay off impact exercise (ie running) for a while. No idea how long "a while" is, but hopefully it will only be a few weeks and I won't get too massively behind. I am also encouraged to keep up my fitness with non-impact exercise - which is where "I hate spinning!" comes in. I gave it a go on Friday and when the instructor said "If your legs aren't burning you're not working hard enough!", my bottom was so sore I couldn't even think about how my legs were feeling! But I accept that I am not doing it for the love of spinning, just to keep my heart and lungs and legs working enough so that when I am allowed to run again I'll be raring to go... So if I can't keep up with the super fit spinners, so what?!

No comments:

Post a Comment