Friday 13 December 2013

Friday 13th

I didn't want to tempt fate so I've had a rest day…

Actually, that's not entirely true - the bit about the rest day is true, but my plan said to have one anyway, regardless of the date. I never, ever thought I'd say this, but I actually miss running on my rest days. I know the rests are as important as the runs, but I still feel like I'm wasting a day. What is happening to me?!

I did have quite a big day yesterday though (relatively). Thursdays is Fitball class at the gym, which was tough and sweaty (and I have very sore glutes today) but my plan also said I should do 35-40 minutes' steady run. Well, no thank you… So what I did was swap my runs this week so I did Thursday's 40 minutes on Tuesday - using a route I have previously done on the Common, but I must be getting faster as I had to add a bit onto the end to fill up the time; go me! - and then after Fitball I took myself into the gym for Tuesday's shorter run, on the treadmill. Having the technology at my disposal then, and fully aware that  for my long runs and the thing itself I am going to have to resort to the run/walk technique, I programmed the machine so I ran at 5.5mph for 4 minutes, followed by a 1 minute walk at 3.5mph, repeated 6 times. Come the event it's not going to be nearly as prescriptive as that - more a case of "run for as long as you can, then walk as long as you want, then repeat".

Talking of the event, on Wednesday I went to the cinema with my friend ("The Butler" - don't bother…). We went to Aldershot as it's cheaper than Guildford and the parking's free in Morrison's car park, but the point of the story is that the trip meter in my car said that from home to Aldershot and back is about 25 miles. How on earth am I ever going to be able to get from home to Aldershot and back, plus a bit, on foot?!

Away from the Marathon, my boys are coming home from Uni this weekend for Christmas. Yay! I am not quite sure how marathon training fits in with Christmas festivities but I am sure I can rely on my family to support me and encourage me out of the house occasionally, or failing that, forcibly throw me out! At least all the exercise will mean I can stuff my face, yes?


No comments:

Post a Comment